All-Day Meatball Stew Recipe
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1. Place the meatballs, potatoes, carrots, onion and mushrooms in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, broth, water, wine, garlic powder and pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups: 384 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1317mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein
Reviews for All-Day Meatball Stew
"I prepared this delicious dish recently and declare it a winner. I followed the recipe except I used regular carrots that I cut up instead of the baby carrots. My husband and I loved this recipe. I will be making it again and again. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home."
"I substituted turkey and pork meatballs with portobello mushrooms and spinach (Schwan's 581) and I used Yukon gold potatoes. This was a great and quick to make recipe. We served it with jalapeno cornbread and a salad."
"Very good and easy to make. I used the leftover beef broth (from the 3/4 cup) to mix with the flour for the thickener. Definitely a keeper."
"My family loved this. My husband ate the leftovers as meatball sandwiches and added chipotle sauce."
"This was a big hit in my home. Very easy and inexpensive to make. I will be making this again."
"It smelled good while cooking but it needs much more umph. My kids asked that I not make this one again. :("
"This was good, but it needed more zip. Next time I will add cili powder and paprika or use Italian tomato sauce and add extra basil and oregano. Also, it did not thicken very much. I even added corn starch and cooked longer, but it was still soupy, though I carefully measured ingredients. I may add tapioca beads at the beginning next time."
"on a secondary note, my husband brought this into work for him and his office mate (who loved it) and claims it was better on the second day..."
"This was very good. The whole family ate it up (whom I can rarely get to agree on dinner). I didn't have the red wine and would like to try it again with that. Also used tapioca to thicken the gravy/sauce."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.