All-Day Meatball Stew Recipe
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Place the meatballs, potatoes, carrots, onion and mushrooms in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, broth, water, wine, garlic powder and pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for All-Day Meatball Stew
Sort By :
"Very good and easy to make. I used the leftover beef broth (from the 3/4 cup) to mix with the flour for the thickener. Definitely a keeper."
"My family loved this. My husband ate the leftovers as meatball sandwiches and added chipotle sauce."
"This was a big hit in my home. Very easy and inexpensive to make. I will be making this again."
"It smelled good while cooking but it needs much more umph. My kids asked that I not make this one again. :("
"This was good, but it needed more zip. Next time I will add cili powder and paprika or use Italian tomato sauce and add extra basil and oregano. Also, it did not thicken very much. I even added corn starch and cooked longer, but it was still soupy, though I carefully measured ingredients. I may add tapioca beads at the beginning next time."