Frozen meatballs and convenient jarred mushrooms with cans of tomato sauce and beef broth simplify this homey stew that cooks all day. Each bite boasts lots of fresh veggie flavor and comforting rich gravy. It smells so good while it cooks, it’s hard to resist! —Anita Hoffman, Holland, Pennsylvania
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Place the meatballs, potatoes, carrots, onion and mushrooms in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, broth, water, wine, garlic powder and pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as All-Day Meatball Stew in Simple & Delicious December/January 2013, p17
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for All-Day Meatball Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review