All-Day Brisket with Potatoes Recipe
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 3/4 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1. Place potatoes and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut brisket in half. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil on all sides; transfer to slow cooker. In the same pan, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to slow cooker.
- 2. Add beer and bouillon granules to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; pour over meat. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add to slow cooker.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. To serve, thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 352 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 722 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 38 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.