- 5-1/2 pounds apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place apples in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt; pour over apples and mix well. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown, stirring occasionally (stir more frequently as it thickens to prevent sticking).
- Uncover and cook on low 1 hour longer. If desired, stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Cover and refrigerate or freeze. Yield: 4 pints.
Reviews for All-Day Apple Butter
Sort By :
This is so good and by cooking in a slow cooker, you can multi-task and still have some delicious apple butter. Taste so good on those cold winter mornings on toast or muffins.
This is a first for me, and I just put 3 jars in the freezer and kept one jar for me. I'm sure friends are going to want a jar. I usually put a fruit chutney in my chicken salad for sandwiches, and I'm looking forward to using this in my chicken salad for sandwiches this week. It's nice on vanilla ice cream too.
This sounds good. I have been making apple butter in slow cooker for years and have a couple recipes that I like. As far as what apples to use: I like golden delicious and then I add 2 or 3 others-just not red delicious. Also do a couple batches of sugar free.
Just finished making this, and it turned out great. I had sweet apples so cut sugar to a little over 3 cups and only used 2 tsp cinnamon. I didn't chop the apples small, just cut in big chunks and it cooked down fine. Used my immersion blender right in the pot to puree. Processed in a water bath for 10 minutes, and store it in the pantry. So much better than store-bought and aside from peeling the apples it couldn't be easier- but I like that part, it's like kneading bread dough... I just let my mind wander and solve all the worlds problems. Sit down to peel the apples, and put on some nice music!
superb and easy.