All-Day Apple Butter
I make several batches of this simple and delicious apple butter to freeze in jars. Depending on the sweetness of the apples used, you can adjust the sugar to taste. —Betty Ruenholl, Syracuse, Nebraska
64 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 11 hours
- 5-1/2 pounds apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place apples in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves
- and salt; pour over apples and mix well. Cover and cook on high for
- 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 9-11 hours or until thickened
- and dark brown, stirring occasionally (stir more frequently as it
- thickens to prevent sticking).
- Uncover and cook on low 1 hour longer. If desired, stir with a wire
- whisk until smooth. Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in.
- headspace. Cover and refrigerate or freeze. Yield: 4 pints.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 68 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.