All-Day Apple Butter Recipe
I make several batches of this simple and delicious apple butter to freeze in jars. Depending on the sweetness of the apples used, you can adjust the sugar to taste. —Betty Ruenholl, Syracuse, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 11 hours YIELD:64 servings
- 5-1/2 pounds apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Place apples in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt; pour over apples and mix well. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- 2. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown, stirring occasionally (stir more frequently as it thickens to prevent sticking).
- 3. Uncover and cook on low 1 hour longer. If desired, stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Cover and refrigerate or freeze. Yield: 4 pints.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 68 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC