Ever since my sister-in-law shared this recipe with me, I haven't made any other kind of potpie. The crust is very easy to work with. —Laureen Naylor, Factoryville, Pennsylvania
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a food processor, combine flour and salt; cover and pulse to blend. Add cheese; pulse until fine crumbs form. Add shortening and butter; pulse until coarse crumbs form. While processing, gradually add water until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half with one ball slightly larger than the other; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, saute the potatoes, carrots, celery and onion in butter for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the remaining ingredients; simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Roll out larger pastry ball to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Pour hot turkey filling into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top or make decorative cutouts in pastry.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until crust is light golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as All-American Turkey Potpie in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p145
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for All-American Turkey Potpie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review