All-American Meat Loaf Recipe
There are loads of variations on meat loaf, but my family loves it when I keep to this stick-to-your-ribs version. —Margie Williams, Mt. Juliet, Tennessee
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 slices bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-1/4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1. Saute green pepper and onion in oil in a large skillet until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Add eggs, milk, bread, cheese, rosemary, salt and pepper to sauteed vegetables. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well.
- 3. Pat into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Combine ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar in a small bowl. Spread over tops.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC