- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- Place 1/2 cup flour, seasoned salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil in batches. Remove and set aside. Add 4 cups water to the pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Add the onion, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, sugar, salt, paprika, allspice, bay leaf and remaining pepper. Return beef to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine remaining flour and water until smooth; stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for All-American Beef Stew
Sort By :
"I'd like to thank you for posting this recipe on here. I made this for my family tonight, had to double it because I have a large family, we all loved it. I followed the recipe exact and we did not find it to be too thick or too bland. I tried missy0515's suggestion, didn't have time to make biscuits but bought some rolls instead and it was perfect, so I do suggest making biscuits if you have the time or buying some rolls. Thank you again I highly appreciate you posting this and it will now be how we have our Beef Stew!"
"I followed the recipe exactly and it was very delicious! Will definitely make it again. My family and I liked the thickness of it. I made biscuits with it and it was a perfect meal. Not bland at all."
"I have made this stew twice now, and both times it was delicious. I don't understand why someone would think that it is bland. I used all the seasonings and was very pleased with the taste. I agree not to add more flour at the end. I added some kernel corn to the recipe. It was just the right meal to warm us up this winter."
"It is pretty bland, needs some serious sprucing up!"
"I made this stew as directed, and we really enjoyed the taste of it. The beef was very tender! However, after adding the remaining flour/water in the final step, the stew was much too thick. I would make this again, but I don't think it's necessary to add any more flour to the stew at the end."