All-American Beef Stew Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 1. Place 1/2 cup flour, seasoned salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil in batches. Remove and set aside. Add 4 cups water to the pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Add the onion, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, sugar, salt, paprika, allspice, bay leaf and remaining pepper. Return beef to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Stir in potatoes and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- 4. Combine remaining flour and water until smooth; stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups: 324 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for All-American Beef Stew
"I'd like to thank you for posting this recipe on here. I made this for my family tonight, had to double it because I have a large family, we all loved it. I followed the recipe exact and we did not find it to be too thick or too bland. I tried missy0515's suggestion, didn't have time to make biscuits but bought some rolls instead and it was perfect, so I do suggest making biscuits if you have the time or buying some rolls. Thank you again I highly appreciate you posting this and it will now be how we have our beef Stew!"
"I followed the recipe exactly and it was very delicious! Will definitely make it again. My family and I liked the thickness of it. I made biscuits with it and it was a perfect meal. Not bland at all."
"I have made this stew twice now, and both times it was delicious. I don't understand why someone would think that it is bland. I used all the seasonings and was very pleased with the taste. I agree not to add more flour at the end. I added some kernel corn to the recipe. It was just the right meal to warm us up this winter."
"It is pretty bland, needs some serious sprucing up!"
"I made this stew as directed, and we really enjoyed the taste of it. The beef was very tender! However, after adding the remaining flour/water in the final step, the stew was much too thick. I would make this again, but I don't think it's necessary to add any more flour to the stew at the end."
"very bland. but the beef was nice and tender."
"It might have been "Rated" 18 times, which simply means someone clicked on the star rating without writing an actual review."
"I am confused about the ratings on this. When I first saw it it said 18 reviews and rated 4 1/2 stars, but when you click on the actual recipe there aren't any reviews to look at. Anyhow, I made as directed, but upon tasting didn't like the strong lemon flavor at all. I modified the recipe by adding 3 bouillion cubes, some frozen peas, and a little bit of browning sauce. It was ALOT better than."
"To put it nicely my hubby doesn't like beef stew! Well he asked for more! Nice and simple and great for keeping within ones budget these days."
"I tried this recipe based on the number of good reviews. It was my first time making stew. I thought it turned out really tasty & my family also liked it. I'll be keeping this recipe."
"My husband especially loved this! And I loved how easy it was make it! Very tasty - I didn't change anything and I don't think I would the next time either - we loved it!"
"Added frozen peas."
"The recipe was a little too bland."
"I've made this recipe several times and it always gets rave reviews from my family. I like it because it's tasty and healthy eating."
"An above-average stew. A little bland, though, so next time I'm going to double the lemon juice, salt, sugar, paprika and allspice. (Or get fresher spices, mine may have been too old.) I will definitely make this one again."
"This stew was so good. I'm going to make it again....so favorful."
"It was very good and I liked it more so because it was healthy. My husband also enjoyed the meal."
"Excellent stew recipe. Unusual combination of herbs etc, make it delightful"
"We have made this recipe for years over the camp fire for all our friends. There's never any left!!"
"Tasty + healthy + Very Filling = An Amanzing Family Meal."