Ali's Gluten-Free Pie Pastry Recipe
Who needs gluten? This recipe produces a tender, nutty crust that’s as tasty as any traditional pastry. It’s the perfect base for all your pie favorites.—Harriet Stichter, Milford, Indiana
- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE:
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 6 tablespoons cold butter or margarine, cubed
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE:
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup cold butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, almonds, sugar, salt and xanthan gum. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in egg. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
- 2. For single-crust pie: Form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 3. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe directions.
- 4. For double-crust pie: Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 5. Roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- 6. Cover edges with foil. Bake pie according to recipe directions, removing foil during the last 15-20 minutes of baking. Yield: pastry for one 9-inch pie.
1 piece equals 172 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC