Who needs gluten? This recipe produces a tender, nutty crust that’s as tasty as any traditional pastry. It’s the perfect base for all your pie favorites.—Harriet Stichter, Milford, Indiana
- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE:
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 6 tablespoons cold butter or margarine, cubed
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE:
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup cold butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, almonds, sugar, salt and xanthan gum. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in egg. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
- For single-crust pie: Form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe directions.
- For double-crust pie: Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Cover edges with foil. Bake pie according to recipe directions, removing foil during the last 15-20 minutes of baking. Yield: pastry for one 9-inch pie.
Originally published as Ali's Gluten-Free Pie Pastry in Country Woman October/November 2012, p38
Reviews for Ali's Gluten-Free Pie Pastry
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 29, 2013
"I just used this recipe Sept. 27, 2013.. It was my Son In Laws birthday and I brought a 3 berry Gluten Free Pie. The Crust was very good, and flaky. It was a 'hit' at the party."