- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE:
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 6 tablespoons cold butter or margarine, cubed
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE:
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup cold butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, almonds, sugar, salt and xanthan gum. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in egg. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
- For single-crust pie: Form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe directions.
- For double-crust pie: Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Cover edges with foil. Bake pie according to recipe directions, removing foil during the last 15-20 minutes of baking. Yield: pastry for one 9-inch pie.
Originally published as Ali's Gluten-Free Pie Pastry in Country Woman October/November 2012, p38
Reviews for Ali's Gluten-Free Pie Pastry
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 29, 2013
I just used this recipe Sept. 27, 2013.. It was my Son In Laws birthday and I brought a 3 berry Gluten Free Pie. The Crust was very good, and flaky. It was a 'hit' at the party.
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Gluten-Free Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pie Baking >
- Pie Crust Recipes >