Alfresco Bean Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk the lime juice, oil, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
2/3 cup equals 146 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Alfresco Bean Salad
"Been making this for years, and it is always a hit. I don't change anything except maybe not quite as much onion. Eat it with tortilla chips, and it' s a meal for us. Even some of my kids like it!"
"This is really good. I didn't have fresh cilantro so I used a small amount of dried, plus fresh chopped parsley."
"It was amazing! I added a little Tapatio to it and It was AMAZING!"
"This is a terrific salad and such a nice change from the usual three-bean salad. I usually leave out the onion and just add a little dried minced onion to the dressing. I left out the jalapeno, also, and substituted great northern beans for the garbanzos, which I do not care for. I think a chopped avocado, added at the last minute, would be a nice addition to this, but have not tried it."
"I made this without the tomatoes which probably took away from the appeal of the dish. If I make it again, I will definitely add tomatoes."
"We added a splash of apple cider vinegar for just a little more flavor in the dressing-awesome results!"
"I am not a bean eater but I made this and it was great! Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe."
"Made this for a luncheon at work and received so many compliments. This definitely makes a lot to go around."
"Quite good. I substituted fresh basil for the cilantro as I'm growing basil. And I added a can of diced chilis and diced fresh green pepper. Also a few drops of hot tabasco as we like things a bit spicier. The nice thing about this recipe is you can add or detract whatever you like!"
"This sounds so yummy, but would anybody have a suggestion for a substitute for the cilantro. Thanks"
"I just made this again for my family!"
"Delicous My favorite!"
"Friends enjoyed this bean 'salad/dip'. We served it with tortilla chips. Could use a little more something...we added salt, probably needed a little more spice! Overall, not too bad! Great for gatherings."
"FIXED THIS FRIDAY.TURNED OUT GREAT.WILL MAKE IT AGAIN."
"MADE THIS OVER THE WEEKEND.TASTE GREAT. I USED BROWN RICE INSTEAD WHITE RICE."
"Cut the onion and cilantro in half."
"Everyone loves this recipe and asks for it. Nice and light and healthy!"
"From yours truly! Thanks for all the great feedback!"