Alfresco Bean Salad
If you're bored with the usual greens, try this super healthy version of classic three bean salad. It's terrific as a side dish, but sometimes, I fill my plate and make it a meal. —Cristina Vives, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk the lime juice, oil, chili powder, salt and
- pepper. Add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Chill until
- serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 146 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.