After-Thanksgiving Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12- to 14-pound turkey)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place turkey carcass in a soup kettle or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove carcass; cool. Set aside 3 qt. broth. Remove turkey from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- 2. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Reduce heat; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add 1 qt. of reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Add cream, rice, salt, bouillon, pepper, remaining broth and reserved turkey. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).
Reviews for After-Thanksgiving Turkey Soup
"Wonderful soup, on a whim as I was adding the last ingredients to the pot I added a teaspoon of thyme, Mmmmm."
"This has become my annual Black Friday tradition. My daughter starts asking in July if I'm making it! I think it's even better a couple days later. I don't change anything, prepare it just as it says and it is a big hit every year."
"This is the best recipe for that left over turkey carcass. Total comfort food. The only thing I do different is use a 1/2 cup of flour and it's still plenty thick enough for us."
"Yum!!! This was such a wonderful comfort food, I'll make turkey's year round just to make this again. I did use about 2 Tbsp of chicken bouillon and that seemed just right. I froze the excess of turkey and broth (separately) so I can make another batch or half a batch later, but I think already made, this soup would probably freeze well."
"very tasty! have made this the past 2 years, we all love it! added some greens (leftover kale) and substituted farro for the rice and 1/2 whole wheat/1/2 white flour.also baked carcass at 400deg for 45 min. before boiling for extra flavor..."
"Best turkey soup I have ever had. Even after leaving out the half n half."
"This is Fabulous! I also make it after I roast a chicken."
"This soup is fabulous! My family declared it the favorite. I think I might try it with noodles next time, just to see how that is. I'm not going to wait until Thanksgiving to make it again."
"This was great. Don't normally like turkey soup. fantastic"