When I was in college, my mom made an addicting sweet potato stew. I shared it with friends, and now all of us serve it to our own kids. They all love it, of course. —Alexis Scatchell, Niles, IL
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- Chopped peanuts and additional cilantro leaves, optional
- Place the first eight ingredients in a food processor; process until pureed. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in sweet potatoes, beans and water.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender, adding kale during the last 30 minutes. If desired, top each serving with chopped peanuts and additional cilantro. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as African Peanut Sweet Potato Stew in Simple & Delicious August/September 2015
Reviews for African Peanut Sweet Potato Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review