African Beef Curry
“This African Beef Curry is a popular dish with my family and friends. It's from my Aunt Linda, who was a missionary in Nigeria for 45 years. The stew is served on a bed of rice and sprinkled with toppings. I put the bowls of toppings on my large turntable, and everyone can take whatever they want. In addition to the coconut, peanuts and raisins, you could also top the stew with chopped cucumbers,
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked rice
- Raisins, chopped salted peanuts and flaked coconut, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until
- meat is tender.
- Serve with rice. Garnish with raisins, peanuts and coconut if
- desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without rice or garnishes) equals 205 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 474 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.