- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked rice
- Raisins, chopped salted peanuts and sweetened shredded coconut, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Serve with rice. Garnish with raisins, peanuts and coconut if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for African Beef Curry
"I have also been making this since the recipe first appeared in a Taste of Home issue. beef is always tender. Typically no leftovers. I do tend to go heavy on the curry. Always a hit. Thank you for the recipe."
"I've been making this since it was first published in 2008. Still a favorite. We always top it with coconut, raisins and peanuts. Will have to try the bananas sometime. Sounds yummy."
"I used a crock pot which was quite helpful. Was good enough but won't be a family go-to even though we love curry."
"When I make this recipe my kids love it!"
"Really nice flavor. I added chopped peanuts the last hour of cooking. I also topped it with bananas."
"Wonderful,easy recipe. Have shared it with friends who have also enjoyed it."
"Served this at a potluck and had many people come and ask me for the recipe."
"This has become a most favorite recipe. easy and tasty. If I don't have fresh green and red peppers, use canned tomatoes with chopped peppers. It has a special spot among my beef recipes. Thought I had misplaced the recipe and panicked..so went to your recipe file and HOORAY..the lost is found. Will make sure I don't lose it again.Thank you."
"This was wonderful, and slightly spicy. The kids wouldn't eat much. I used bananas and raisins to top, but would love to try cucumbers, pineapple, and coconut. The bananas seemed to really cut the heat of the spiciness."
"Great, easy recipe. Good flavor. I used a can of pineapple tidbits as a topping instead of raising, peanuts and coconut."