- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 2 cups of the sugar, oil, eggs, orange juice, salt and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined. In another bowl, toss apples with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Spread one-third of batter in a greased 10-in. tube pan. Cover with half of the apples. Repeat layers. Spoon remaining batter over top.
- Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Adams County Apple Cake
Sort By :
"Just made this cake and the batter was so thick thought I might have left out a wet ingredient so doubled check and I put everything in but the batter looked more like a biscuit batter and it stuck to my pan after greasing plenty what do you think went wrong, was so looking forward to it looks so good in picture, I'm disappointed."
"This is very moist and easy to make. I halved the recipe for my husband and myself, baking it in an 8x8" glass dish at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes. As others mentioned, I added nutmeg to the cinnamon and sugar to mix with the apples, using less sugar than called for. I used half the batter for the bottom, a single layer of [Macintosh] apples and the remaining batter on top, and sprinkled a little sugar/cinnamon mixture on top. This is a keeper."
"made this recipe, took it to work, EVERYONE LOVED it! cut back on the sugar by 1/4 cup- used cider instead of orange juice and added 1/2 tsp. nutmeg. Delicious!"
"I had two people ask me for the recipe the first time I made it! It was that good!"
"I found the batter very stiff and spreading the batter over the apples was difficult. I went over the recipe and not sure why the batter was so difficult."