Acorn Squash with Leftover Stuffing Recipe
Our Test Kitchen offer up this unique way to present leftover stuffing. Serve this squash as a hearty side dish or as a meatless entree.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 3 small acorn squash
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 cups cooked stuffing
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes or until tender.
- 2. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (pulp will measure about 3 cups). Drain water from pan; place squash cut side up in pan and set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the pulp, egg, salt and pepper. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water; add to squash mixture. Add stuffing; spoon into squash shells. Top with cheese if desired. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 240 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 680 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC