Acorn Squash with Apricot Sauce Recipe
With its mild flavor, acorn squash is the perfect base for crunchy walnuts and sweet apricots. I like to double the sauce so I can serve it with my breakfast oatmeal. —Judy Parker, Moore, Oklahoma
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2 small acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Cut a thin slice from bottom of squash with a sharp knife to allow it to sit flat. Place hollow side up in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water.
- 2. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over squash. Dot with butter. Cover and bake at 375° for 55-65 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine orange juice and apricots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until apricots are tender. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Serve with squash; sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 squash half (calculated without walnuts) equals 241 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC