Acorn Squash Soup
"The recipe for this thick and creamy soup was given to me by a fellow squash lover," reports Dorrene Butterfield from her home in Lincoln, Nebraska. "The attractive rich yellow soup is especially enjoyable during the cool nights of Indian summer."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 cups mashed cooked acorn squash
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter. Stir in flour,
- bouillon, dill, curry and cayenne until blended. Gradually add broth
- and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the
- squash, salt and pepper; heat through.
- In a blender, process the soup in batches until smooth. Pour into
- bowls; sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.