Acorn Squash Slices
"Acorn squash is a favorite with my family," relates Mrs. Richard Lamb of Williamsburg, Indiana. "This recipe gets sweet maple flavor from syrup and an appealing nuttiness from pecans. It's easy, too, because you don't have to peel the squash."
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds and membrane.
- Cut each half widthwise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends.
- Place slices in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with
- salt. Combine syrup and butter; pour over squash. Sprinkle with
- pecans if desired.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One serving of 2 slices (prepared with sugar-free maple syrup, reduced-fat margarine and pecans) equals 170 calories, 98 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 31 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 7 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.