Acorn Squash Feta Casserole Recipe
- 2 large acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Bake 10 minutes longer or until squash is tender; cool slightly. Carefully scoop out squash; place in a large bowl and mash. Set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add peppers; saute until crisp-tender. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and yogurt until blended. Stir in the squash, onion mixture, feta cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne if desired.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels. Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 184 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 606 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Acorn Squash Feta Casserole
"This was the tastiest way I have ever eaten acorn squash. And it is super healthy! Even my 16 month old liked it. Very, very good!"
"This recipe was so good!! It should be noted, however, that you can make it ahead of time, it is quite time consuming to make, and we assembled the dish in the morning, put it in the fridge, then let it sit for about 20 minutes that night before putting it in the oven for the rest of its cook time, and it was great! Due to it's long cook times (40 minutes for squash) and then another 55 to finish dish, it's nice to be able to prepare ahead of time and cook later. But great dish altogether!"
"This casserole turned out amazing! Thanks to Deborah for posting it. The sunflower kernels really add a tasty touch. I was wondering, though, how is it for freezing leftovers?"
"i thought it was kinda blah. needs more spice maybe."
"Everyone laughed at me for even attempting this recipe, but I was determined. I am so glad I stuck with!!! This dish is delicious and will replace my stuffing this Thanksgiving. Thank you for posting it."
"This was rather good. I wasn't sure if it would be as good as it was. I will make this again for sure! I added a bit more spice and I will again, as it is a bit bland as is. But very good for the most part. Thank you for the wonderful recipe."
"Always looking for something unique to make for Thanksgiving, this is that recipe. Couldn't wait to share with other family members that didn't get to enjoy this great combination of many flavors. Even my two children loved it and couldn't believe it was acorn squash............a must have recipe"
"This was especially good the following days. Next time -- and there WILL be a next time -- I'll add Tobasco sauce and pitted Greek olives to liven it up & compliment the feta cheese."