Acorn Squash Feta Casserole Recipe
I get loads of compliments on this out-of-the-ordinary casserole whenever I serve it. The recipe marries squash and feta cheese with onion, garlic, bell peppers and a sprinkling of sunflower kernels. Leftovers are delicious hot or cold! -Deborah Vliet, Holland, Michigan
- 2 large acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Bake 10 minutes longer or until squash is tender; cool slightly. Carefully scoop out squash; place in a large bowl and mash. Set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add peppers; saute until crisp-tender. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and yogurt until blended. Stir in the squash, onion mixture, feta cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne if desired.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels. Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 184 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 606 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC