Acorn Shortbread Cookies Recipe
These buttery treats are just as fun to make as they are to eat! The caramel topping stays soft, and pecans add great nut flavor.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:42 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in 1/3 cup pecans.
- 2. Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into acorn shapes, pinching bottoms to form a point. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip the top of each cookie in chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Immediately sprinkle remaining pecans over chocolate. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 117 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 38 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC