Acorn Cookies Recipe
Perfect for an autumn party, these cute cookies are a specialty.—Virginia Kroon, Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. acorn cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread chocolate over the stem and cap of each acorn, leaving about a 1/4-in. border. Sprinkle pecans over chocolate. Pipe remaining chocolate in a criss-cross pattern over each acorn. Let stand until firm. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 183 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC