Accordion Rye Rolls Recipe
These rolls will make anyone like rye bread. Even though Mom fixes the dough a day ahead, she bakes them right before serving so they're hot and fresh. Any extra effort in making them is well worth it. -Alyson Armstrong, Parkersburg, West Virginia
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups rye flour
- Vegetable oil
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, molasses, 2 tablespoons butter, sugar and 1 tablespoon salt. Add 2 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add rye flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface,divide into four portions. Roll each portion into a 14-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Brush with remaining butter.
- 4. With dull edge of a table knife, score dough width-wise at 2-in. intervals. Using those marks as a guideline, make score marks widthwise across the dough. Fold dough accordion-style back and forth along creased lines. Cut folded dough into 1-in. pieces. Place each piece cut side down in a greased muffin cup. Brush with oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4-24 hours.
- 5. When ready to bake, uncover and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, beat egg white until stiff peaks form; brush over dough. Sprinkle with caraway seeds and remaining salt. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 134 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Accordion Rye Rolls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC