Instead of opening a can of alphabet soup, why not make some from scratch? Kids of all ages love this traditional soup with a tomato base, ground beef and alphabet pasta. - Sharon Brockman, Appleton, Wisconsin
11 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 quarts tomato juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) mixed vegetables, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup uncooked alphabet pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato juice, vegetables, water
- and bouillon; bring to a boil. Add pasta. Cook, uncovered, for 6-8
- minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring frequently. Add salt and
- pepper. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
If you don't have small pasta on hand for ABC Soup, use quick-cooking barley or instant rice. Cook until tender. If you're out of bouillon cubes, 2 teaspoons of bouillon granules can be used instead.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 148 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 858 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.