ABC Slump Recipe
The "ABC" in this recipe's name comes from the apple, blueberries and cranberries it uses. The other part refers to the way the dumplings "slump" during cooking - presumably the sound made by the fruit as it bubbles on the stove. I've take my slump to work, picnics and church carry-ins. No matter where, the result is the same...all that I ever bring home is the empty dish. -Becky Burch, Marceline, Missouri
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- Half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the fruit, water and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened. Drop into six mounds onto simmering fruit. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Serve warm with cream. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 264 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC