A Bit Nutty Boston Brown Bread
Hearty and dense, my homemade Boston Brown Bread features hazelnuts for a delightfully nutty taste. Thick slices pair well with just about anything, from soup and stews to pasta and meat entrees. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 cups King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda and salt. In a small
- bowl, whisk buttermilk and molasses. Stir into dry ingredients just
- until moistened. Fold in raisins and nuts. Transfer to two greased
- 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks.
- Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 159 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.