- 4-1/2 cups boiling water, divided
- 7 packages (3 ounces each) assorted flavored gelatin
- 4-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Sliced strawberries and kiwifruit, optional
- In a small bowl, add 3/4 cup boiling water to one gelatin package; stir 2 minutes to completely dissolve. Stir in 3/4 cup cold water. Pour into a 3-qt. trifle or glass bowl. Refrigerate until set but not firm, about 40 minutes.
- In a clean bowl, dissolve another gelatin package in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir in 1/2 cup cold water and 1/2 cup milk. Spoon over the first layer. Refrigerate until set but not firm.
- Repeat five times, alternating plain and creamy gelatin layers. Refrigerate each layer until set but not firm before adding the next layer. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Serve with whipped topping and, if desired, fruit. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for7 Layer Gelatin Salad
"I've been making this gelatin recipe for about 25 years now and use unflavored gelatin in with my flavored galatin and evaporated milk. It's always a big hit and everyone loves to pull the layers apart to eat! I'll have to try this recipe for the holidays and see how my guest likes it. It certainly isn't a finger food..."
"Everyone at dinner loved the idea of the layers! The next time I make this, I will follow the photo for the layering, as I had substituted two of the gelatines for other flavors (didn't have the originals on hand), and the color combination I ended up with wasn't as pretty as the posted recipe, but the family thought it was great anyway (they didn't see the photo). I substituted non-dairy creamer for the evaporated milk, as my daughter has lactose intolerance. No one knew the difference, and the layers set up nicely. A really fun recipe for special occasions!"
"I made this for my daughter's 7th birthday and it was a huge hit! It took time to make but the flavors blend so well and it looked gorgeous! I'm curious to try it with sugar-free jello next time."
"I made this for my brothers party! It was a hit with all the little ones! It took awhile to make, but the finished product was pretty! And quite yummy!"