60-Minute Mini Breads Recipe
When I was 11 years old, I entered this bread at our county fair. It beat out more than 90 food entries to win Junior Grand Champion and Best of Show! Sometimes I make one large loaf instead of two mini loaves.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. In a saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide in half. Roll each portion into an 8-in. x 5-in. rectangle.
- 3. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Place, seam side down, in two greased 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Fill a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with 1 in. of hot water. Set loaf pans in water.
- 4. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes. Remove loaf pans from the water bath. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 mini loaves (4 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 167 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC