- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for 40-Minute Hamburger Buns
Sort By :
"I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out perfect! I wish I could include a picture as they are very pretty! Made 12 buns a little bigger than a slider bun."
"First time making hamburger buns. As per recipe and directions, they came out great, made 6 buns, after 8 mins as the tops and bottoms were golden brown, took out of oven, 2 mins later, cut one in half and it was still a bit raw at the bottom. Back in the oven at 300 degrees and still waiting as it still is a bit raw, did find it a bit on the 'sweet side' would lower the sugar amount the next time. Any suggestions on WHY it didn't cook all the way through? would appreciate it."
"Kagaroo in the 2nd instruction it states "do not let rise", these are kneaded, shaped and given a short rest before baking. They turn out really well. I've made them a few times."
"You don't need to let this dough rise before baking them will someone please let me know this?"
"Very good flavor and easy. I used a kitchen aid mixer with dough attachment to knead the dough, I ended up needing more than 3 1/2 cups flour, made 6 buns and let them rise longer than 10 minutes. Despite being larger, they did not really need that much longer of a baking time. Love making fresh buns! First time I had tried it. Next time I think I will try for 8 buns to get closer to a "normal" size bun."