- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for 40-Minute Hamburger Buns
Sort By :
"Surprisingly good, well worth the time. I did let rise 20 min. I will try slightly lower oven temp."
"This recipe is awesome. Using sunflower oil the buns had a lighter and wonderful taste.I did let the dough rise longer. I did decrease the oven temperature to 375 degrees and baked them for 12 minutes. I will never buy another bun again. There is a trick to how much flour to add, too much or too little the buns will be heavy and dense. The size was perfect if your watching your calories."
"Just made this recipe today. Made NO changes whatsoever and they turned out fantastic! I couldn't believe they really only took 40 min. from beginning to taking them out of the oven. My new favorite recipe and my hubby give it 5 stars too!"
"Beware. The 5 star ratings are from people who made adjustments which made this a very differant recipe. They are heavy and small as written. I wish people wouldn't give high ratings when they change a recipe. It is very deceiving."
"I love this recipe. I made it with the ingredients exactly at listed using the dough cycle of my bread machine. They turned out beautifully."