4-H Corn Special Recipe
Donetta Brunner of Savanna, Illinois traces this hearty main dish back to a 4-H cooking project. "I liked the recipe immediately, and it has traveled through the years with me to become a favorite with my children and husband, too. The only change I've made to the original is to add extra seasonings."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups seeded chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups fresh, frozen or canned sweet corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef and onion; drain. Stir in rice, tomatoes, corn, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine cracker crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 256 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 227 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC