- 20 garlic cloves, peeled, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 4 lemon wedges
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut 12 garlic cloves in half. Place chicken on a cutting board. Tuck wings under chicken. With a sharp paring knife, cut 24 small slits in breasts, drumsticks and thighs. Insert each with a halved garlic. Place the lemon wedges, thyme and remaining whole garlic cloves in chicken cavity. Tie drumsticks together.
- Transfer chicken to a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Rub skin with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reaches 180°. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for 20 Cloves of Garlic Roast Chicken
Sort By :
"I have to agree with those who didn't think the garlic came through enough, although mine did soften. I'd have to say this recipe did not pan out. I have other simple roast chicken recipes that are better."
"This is a no fail recipe. My husband is not a big chicken fan, but he loves this."
"This is a no fail recipe. My familyThis is a no fail recipe. My husband is not a big chicken fan, but he loves this."
"My family LOVES garlic so this is a wonderful way to add it to the chicken. Not to mention it is soooo juicy!"
"It's okay. I've had better. On the plus side, now I have half a chicken for pizza on friday! :)"