- 20 garlic cloves, peeled, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 4 lemon wedges
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut 12 garlic cloves in half. Place chicken on a cutting board. Tuck wings under chicken. With a sharp paring knife, cut 24 small slits in breasts, drumsticks and thighs. Insert each with a halved garlic. Place the lemon wedges, thyme and remaining whole garlic cloves in chicken cavity. Tie drumsticks together.
- Transfer chicken to a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Rub skin with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reaches 180°. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as 20 Cloves of Garlic Roast Chicken in Taste of Home February/March 2013
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for 20 Cloves of Garlic Roast Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review