14-Karat Cake Recipe
"When I served this carrot cake to my family last Easter, everyone loved it...and they couldn't tell I had lightened it up!" relates Ellen Schuh of Sherwood, Wisconsin.
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons flaked coconut, toasted
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients until smooth. Combine the flours, baking soda, salt and spices; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Stir in carrots and raisins. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For frosting, in a bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Beat in sugar. Frost the cake. Sprinkle with walnuts and coconut. Refrigerate. Yield: 18 servings.
One piece equals 286 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC