12-Hour Salad Recipe
"THIS RECIPE was Mom's scrumptious scheme to get her kids to eat vegetables. She never had any trouble when she served this colorful crunchy salad. Mom thought this salad was a real bonus for the cook since it must be made the night before."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:12 servings
- 8 cups torn salad greens
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Place salad greens in a 3-qt. bowl or 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Top with layers of celery, green peppers, onion and peas; do not toss.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and sugar; spread over vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 320 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 826 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC