"THIS RECIPE was Mom's scrumptious scheme to get her kids to eat vegetables. She never had any trouble when she served this colorful crunchy salad. Mom thought this salad was a real bonus for the cook since it must be made the night before."
- 8 cups torn salad greens
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Place salad greens in a 3-qt. bowl or 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Top with layers of celery, green peppers, onion and peas; do not toss.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and sugar; spread over vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as 12-Hour Salad in Reminisce Extra June 1994, p47
Reviews for 12-Hour Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review