"Thanksgiving's Not Over Yet" Enchilada Soup Recipe
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons ranch salad dressing mix
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- Optional toppings: crumbled queso fresco, shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips, cubed avocado and minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the red pepper, onion and celery in oil until crisp-tender. Add the broth, enchilada sauce, pumpkin, corn, chilies and dressing mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in turkey and heat through. Garnish servings with toppings of your choice. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without optional toppings) equals 209 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 1,451 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Reviews for "Thanksgiving's Not Over Yet" Enchilada Soup
"This soup was definitely not a flavor I cared for initially. Though I love Verde enchilada sauce, and pumpkin in all its forms; when combined it produced a bitter flavor, I added some sugar to sweeten, as well as garlic, cumin, and white pinto beans. I simmered for several hours. Served with crushed tortilla chip and lots of shredded cheese. The alterations were the ticket for us!!....delicious, warm, and filling!!"
"This is delicious & has lots of flavor. I was really unsure about the pumpkin, but it balances well with the enchilada sauce. I adjusted a few things to use what I had on hand - used 3 cups of broth, 2 - 10 oz. cans of green enchilada sauce, canned corn & leftover chicken. And added a can of black beans. Would probably taste great with red enchilada sauce as well."
"my family and i tried this soup and love it ifact used it twice once as soup and as enchilada sauce great recipe"