- 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of
- tartar over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1
- minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches
- 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla.
- Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Place a cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting
- and sprinkle with half of chips. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Frost top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining chips. Yield:
- 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 483 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.