"Give Me S'more" Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- MARSHMALLOW FROSTING:
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine cracker crumbs and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Place a cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting and sprinkle with half of chips. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining chips. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for "Give Me S'more" Cake(34)
Sort By :
Make sure you know what to expect! This is a grahm cracker FLAVORed cake... (not crunchy,etc)... a sponge-like cake.. I crushed the graham crackers up as small as I could so they would mix well/not leave any soggy chunks! .. I also used my own marshamllow recipe and in between the layers poked holes into the cake/poured some chocolate ganache over it for it to sink in a little ---- YUM!
We didn't really like this cake, the texture was that of soggy graham crackers. I'd rather just have the real thing around a campfire...
it was very different and I couldn't believe it didn't have any flour in it
I wanted to like this cake more than I did. I took a cue from some other reviews and I toasted the graham cracker crumbs on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 10 min, stirring a few times. I mixed half a large Hershey bar and stirred it into the frosting that I used in between the layers. It did taste more like a s'more than some of the other reviewers said their cake did. I just didn't like the flavor of the cake overall. I won't be making it again
This recipe has become a staple for me. I tweaked it a little to make it work as a cupcake recipe. I added 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour to make the cupcakes rise properly. I also frosted it with chocolate frosting and topped it with mini-marshmallows and a square of chocolate. I made it for our Cub Scout Blue and Gold banquet and had several people ask for the recipe. I am not a huge fan of cake but I LOVE this one.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Frosting Recipes >
- Chocolate Icing Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >