"Fishy" Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring, optional
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- FLUFFY FROSTING:
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter flavoring
- Gummy fish and worms, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, butter flavoring and food coloring if desired. Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda. Combine buttermilk and vinegar. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture to creamed mixture. beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, whisk together milk and flour in a saucepan. Cook, over medium heat stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Cover and cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and butter flavoring. Gradually add cooled milk mixture and beat 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Frost cooled cake. Decorate with gummy fish and worms if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for "Fishy" Red Velvet Cake(21)
Sort By :
The cake was delicious, but the icing was TOO much. 3 sticks of butter--it was unnecessary.
Also, I used two 9" pans at 325 for 25 mins, not 3.
This cake is moist and delicious. I baked mine in dark pans at 325 for 25 minutes. I was unsure about the frosting calling for granulated sugar. It was very gritty at first, but when mixed with the milk & flour mixture it smoothed out. It was actually a bit runny and did not set up like the picture (of course!) but the flavor was amazing!!
The cake batter was very thick, and my cake came out very dry.
I just made the frosting, and it was WONDERFUL! I usually hate frosting, but this was great!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Frosting Recipes >
- Chocolate Icing Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Desserts >