"Fishy" Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring, optional
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- FLUFFY FROSTING:
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter flavoring
- Gummy fish and worms, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, butter flavoring and food coloring if desired. Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda. Combine buttermilk and vinegar. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture to creamed mixture. beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, whisk together milk and flour in a saucepan. Cook, over medium heat stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Cover and cool.
- 4. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and butter flavoring. Gradually add cooled milk mixture and beat 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Frost cooled cake. Decorate with gummy fish and worms if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 524 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 404mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for "Fishy" Red Velvet Cake
"Wow... I just don't know how to put this. The cake was dry and the frosting I had to throw out.... it was just curdled. Maybe I did something wrong but usually have super good luck with every recipe I try from Taste of Home."
"I made this into cupcakes and used half cake flour and half all purpose and added a little more cocoa and it came out good. Did not make frosting, I made my own cream cheese frosting and it made it taste even better."
"The cake was delicious, but the icing was TOO much. 3 sticks of butter--it was unnecessary."
"Also, I used two 9" pans at 325 for 25 mins, not 3."
"This cake is moist and delicious. I baked mine in dark pans at 325 for 25 minutes. I was unsure about the frosting calling for granulated sugar. It was very gritty at first, but when mixed with the milk & flour mixture it smoothed out. It was actually a bit runny and did not set up like the picture (of course!) but the flavor was amazing!!"
"I just made the frosting, and it was WONDERFUL! I usually hate frosting, but this was great!"
"Does this recipe want granulated or confectioners sugar? It says sugar but the frosting came out grainy: ("
"We made these as cupcakes and froze them a week before my wedding...excellant and beautiful...who needs a bakery when you can DIY:)"
"Absolutly delicious!! I made this recipe exactly how it was instructed and it couldn't have turned out any better. Instead of making a traditional cake, I made mine into Cupcakes...BIG HIT!"
"This cake went over great. The cake is dense yet fluffy, and the frosting is great. It's sweet but not heavy even though it has so much butter. It's the perfect amount for this three layer cake. I'll be making this for St. Patricks day but using green instead of red. Highly recommend this for anyone to try."
"Tastes wonderful, light, just like my mom made back in the 1960's! Will definitely be making this one again!"
"This is the best ever!!! I had tried this recipe when it first appeared in your magazine years ago.Family and friends raved about it. I had lost it when I moved and I am so happy I found it again!!!"
"this recipe was so good! it takes alittle time to make, but worth all the effort!!! Made it today for Valentines Day!!! :)"
"I've been looking for this recipes for weeks, it is my favorite Red Velvet recipe. I'm so glad I thought to look for it at taste of home online."