Based on an old-fashioned recipe, this unusual birthday cake will steal the show at your party. The vibrant red color is sure to make everyone's eyes open wide. The taste will bring them back for seconds. It's a "reel" fun dessert. -Elizabeth LeBlanc, Bourg, Louisiana
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring, optional
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- FLUFFY FROSTING:
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter flavoring
- Gummy fish and worms, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, butter flavoring and food coloring if desired. Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda. Combine buttermilk and vinegar. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture to creamed mixture. beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, whisk together milk and flour in a saucepan. Cook, over medium heat stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Cover and cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and butter flavoring. Gradually add cooled milk mixture and beat 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Frost cooled cake. Decorate with gummy fish and worms if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as "Fishy" Red Velvet Cake in Taste of Home August/September 1995, p33
Reviews for "Fishy" Red Velvet Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review