My husband and father both go crazy for this stuffing! It also freezes well so we can enjoy it long after Thanksgiving has passed. —Bette Votral, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1-1/2 cups crushed corn bread stuffing
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted chestnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 package (5 ounces) sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the stuffing cubes, corn bread stuffing, chestnuts, parsley, sage, salt and pepper.
- In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, apple and celery in butter until tender. Stir into stuffing mixture. Add enough broth to reach desired moistness. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, stirring once. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as "Everything" Stuffing in Taste of Home October/November 2009, p25
Reviews for "Everything" Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review