"Boo"-rrific Kisses Recipe
Our Test Kitchen turned Phyllis Schmalz’s cute meringue cookies into these whimsical kisses, perfect for Halloween. With just 15 calories, each little treat from the Kansas City, Kansas cook can be enjoyed guilt-free!
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Orange food coloring, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add extracts and vinegar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Beat in food coloring if desired.
- 2. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #10 round pastry tip. Fill bag with egg white mixture. Pipe 1-1/2-in.-diameter ghosts onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Add two chips on each for eyes.
- 3. Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave cookies in oven for 1 hour. Carefully remove from parchment paper. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 15 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC