Treasure Chest Birthday Cake Recipe
- 2 packages chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 6 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7-1/2 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- 5 wooden skewers (three 4 inches, two 7-1/2 inches)
- Foil-covered heavy corrugated cardboard (12 inches x 7-1/2 inches)
- Candy necklaces, foil-covered chocolate coins, candy pacifiers or candies of your choice
- 2 pieces berry tie-dye Fruit Roll-Ups
- In two batches, prepare and bake cakes according to package directions, using two greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until fluffy; beat in the chocolate, vanilla, confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Center one cake on a 16-in. x 12-in. covered board; frost top. Top with remaining cake; frost top and sides of cake. With a metal spatula, smooth frosting to resemble boards.
- For chest lid, insert 4-in. skewers equally spaced 6 in. into one long side of corrugated cardboard lid. Frost top of lid. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert star tip #21. Pipe a shell border on edges of lid and for handles on side of chest.
- Place one 7-1/2-in. skewer on each side of cake top, about 3-1/2 in. from back of chest. Position lid over cake; gently insert short skewers into cake about 1 in. from back of chest. Rest lid on long skewers.
- Arrange candy in chest. Cut a small keyhole from a fruit roll-up; center on front of cake. Position strips of fruit roll-ups in front and back of chest. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews for Treasure Chest Birthday Cake
Sort By :
"superbe ! mon petit pirate va l'adorer ! j'ai créé un lien ici : http://pinterest.com/lemondedis/fetes-pour-les-p-***-chats/"
"This came out AWESOME for my son's pirate birthday! It was fun for my Mom and I to make together, and everyone loved it, especially the birthday boy!"
"Made this for my grandsons 3rd birthday party. It was alot of fun and pretty easy to do."