Surprising High Blood Pressure Facts
You're not alone. One out of every four American adults has high blood pressure.
Of those with high blood pressure:
- 31.6% don’t know they have it
- 27.4 % control it with medication
- 26.2% take medication but don't control it
- 14.6% handle it without medication
Beware. Foods such as olives, bacon, pickles, ketchup, barbecue sauce, smoked salmon and seasoning blends can be high in sodium.
Age matters. One out of every two Americans over 60 have high blood pressure.
90% of older Americans have a lifetime risk of developing high blood pressure.
Among Americans ages 20 to 74, the following have high blood pressure:
- 25.2% of Caucasian men and 20.5% of Caucasian women
- 36.7% of African-American men and 36.6% of African American women
- 24.2% of Hispanic men and 22.4% of Hispanic women.