Broiling has long been a popular cooking technique. It is a very quick way to fix your favorite foods, and the results are tasty and healthy, too.
That's because broiled items are cooked for a short period of time under an intense direct heat, which minimizes the loss of nutrients and reduces fat. Broiling also enhances the flavor of foods. The rapid browning process produces a delicious taste that's unique to this cooking method.
The top element inside an electric oven or the top flame inside a gas oven is ideal for broiling. The goal is to brown the outside of the food while making sure the inside is thoroughly cooked. It's best to select thin and tender cuts of meat that are uniform in size. Also, look for lean cuts that cook quickly, such as chicken breasts, fish fillets, pork chops and steaks.
Broiled vegetables are also very tasty, but they may need to be basted with a marinade to keep them from drying out.
For best results when broiling, follow these simple tips:
- Preheat the oven for a short time to allow food to cook at an optimum temperature. If you're using an electric oven, leave the door ajar.
- Trim excess fat from meats and remove skin from poultry. Doing so is healthier and reduces excess spattering of fat.
- Position the steak (or other meat) 4 to 6 inches from the heat source. When broiling a thicker cut of meat, lower the oven rack to ensure the inside cooks at the same rate as the outside.
- To make sure meats are cooked properly, check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer.
- For easy cleanup, use aluminum foil to line the inside of your broiler pan. But don't line the rack with foil, because it will trap any fat drippings close to the meat.
"I think Marinated Pork Loin
has to be one of my favorite entrees to serve to guests," remarks Jean Heady of Naples, Florida. It's pictured above with Broiled Zucchini with Rosemary Butter
. In Central Point, Oregon, Sandra Hart broils garden-fresh zucchini and spreads it with a buttery herb topping to make her Broiled Zucchini with Rosemary Butter