Due to the struggling economy, you might have decided to drop your health club membership. You don't have to go to a gym to workout when everyday tasks offer opportunities to break a little sweat.
Tighten your pocketbook and your waistline with 10 easy exercise ideas that'll keep your money in hand.
1. Use your feet. Whenever possible, walk. Walk to a co-worker's desk rather than send E-mail, use the stairs instead of escalators and park farther away from entrances when shopping.
2. Count 'em up! Spend a few dollars on a basic pedometer and aim to take 10,000 steps each day. Knowing how much you are or aren't walking can help you gauge your physical fitness and motivate you to do more.
3. Put commercials to good use. Use that 3- to 5-minute break to do a few sit-ups, push-ups, squats or jumping jacks. Run up and down the stairs a few times or do some yoga.
4. Soup's not just for eating. Those cans make great dumbbells! Weigh them on your scale to determine their poundage, then use them like weights.
5. Recycle those panty hose. Panty hose make an inexpensive substitute for resistance bands. Give them a try!
6. Make nature your cross-trainer. At a local state park, pick up a map of hiking trails. The natural dips and valleys force you to work different muscles, enhancing your workout.
7. Play! Gather up your kids or friends and head to a park or open field. Play tag, Frisbee, catch, soccer or kick ball. It's great exercise and totally free!
8. Turn to technology. Look for workout shows on TV, check out fitness tapes from the library, or visit www.slimtree.com to view workout videos on-line.
9. Get skating. Check the prices at local rinks, then lace up a pair of ice skates or roller skates. You'll get a good cardio workout and tone your muscles while having fun.
10. Strike! Join a bowling league or organize a game every month. A 150-pound person burns an average of 204 calories in just 1 hour.
Wonder how many calories those "everyday" activities burn?
Calorie amounts based on a 150-pound person doing the activities for 30 minutes.
|Washing the Car